17 Sept 2015

Mac Studio Waterweight Foundation Review, Swatch, Demo & Comparison

MAC has never intrigued me so much with a single foundation as it did with newly released MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation. Eagerly anticipated release of makeup artist's favourite backstage foundation raised a lot of dust with popular serum concept, beneficial ingredients and looks. Pipette droves you back to chemistry classes which makes everything even more fun. Extra liquidy goodness assures lightweight feeling and velvety smooth touch to your skin. This is definitely the MAC foundation to look after - it will burst a flame in cosmetic industry. Ah, the joy that brings this wonderful product to the vanity table...





Not only it feels like a velvety feather on your delicate skin, it's also buildable with several layers. The initial coverage is somewhere between sheer or slightly medium, while the more you layer, the better your skin looks. There's also no risk of caking up as the texture is super smooth, liquidy and perfecting. This is definitely suitable for those, who already have perfect skin but need to even out certain areas. Blemishes and imperfections must be covered with additional concealer. Due to quite liquidy form, Studio Waterweight comes in a gorgeous milky glass bottle with a pipette. Yes, application can be tricky but once you get the hang of it, you're pretty much good to go. I usually transfer foundation liquid on my hand and apply it with fingertips as it's a blissful joy touching it with your bare hands. Actually I can't wait to put it on at the start of my day. Plus it's quite pricey to waste it on a brush or a sponge. One pump is enough to cover your entire face and build up certain areas up to medium coverage, in my case it's chin and jaw. I cannot express my excitement over truly lightweight and non-sticky, velvety smooth formula.  In terms of finish, Studio Waterweight leaves a velvet finish with slight glow to your highest face features, cheekbones. It's not entirely glowy but leaves a natural-kind-of-glow which makes it suitable for dry, normal and combination skin. Oily skintypes could probably get lots of wear too but need to set it with powder for extra satin/matte effect. That's not all. It also promises perfected skin which is true to some extent - it re-improves your skin texture and adds healthy glow but slightly hides pores. It doesn't cover imperfections and pores entirely but there's definitely an improvement. On the lower pictures, I'm wearing 2 layers of Studio Waterweight with added undereye concealer and a touch of neutral, satin blush. Freckles are still somewhat visible but with slightly more even. Pores are looking smaller but they are still noticeable around the nose.





Mac Studio Waterweight Foundation NW15 applied in 2 layers

Now onto comparison, swatches and colour matches. My personal shade reference is NW15 to which lady at the counter matched me (do I need to say that they always push a darker shade to me due to freckles?). There's also a NW13 choice but I haven't seen it due to my initial excitement. I might need to look it up as NW15 is currently a good match (but not perfect) but it will soon be a shade or two too dark in winter. It's in no way pink based as MAC opposite scale suggests (NW for cool and NC for warm) but still rather yellow in comparison to really pink toned Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation and more yellow than Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation or CC Cream. Revlon Colorstay in 150 Buff is definitely a neutral compared to MAC. In terms of texture it feels similar as my pre-owned Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua. It has exactly the same velvety light texture with subtle glow but slightly more covering than Chanel. Perfect! MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation mixes great with other thick foundations (such as Revlon Colorstay) for more coverage but still retains glow and improves all-in-all texture. SPF30 is just a bonus to protect from the sun rays but makes it difficult to photograph.



I usually tend to NOT splurge so much on a liquid foundation because frankly, I use them up pretty quickly compared to other makeup bits. Still. I love it so much that I might consider repurchasing at step price of 33,50€. Party breakers are unfortunately messy edges of the bottle and I would personally like to see more coverage (perfectly lightweight foundation with heavy coverage? yes please!). All skintypes could enjoy it, keeping in mind that it has buildable sheer coverage. Price is also not my wallet's friend at 33,50€ for 30ml, but you'll be impressed with velvet touch and perfected finish of Studio Waterweight.

13 comments:

  1. Izleda kot da je narejen zate, popoln odtenek. Mene zaenkrat njihovi pudri še niso "ujeli", so me pa šminke. Moram pa nekoč preizkusiti tudi puderček... Cena je pa pač MAC-ova. Vendar je tudi kvaliteta :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meni je njihov Studio Fix vredu, vendar imajo ta NW in NC sistem popolnoma zgrešen. Mene so svetovali NW18, kar je čisto prerumeno zame (in pretemno tudi). Drugače imam L'Orealov C1 ali C2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joj, že nekaj dni razmišljam o nakupu tega pudra :) Zdaj sem pa že skoraj prepričana v nakup! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review Sara! I remember using a mac foundation years ago but I found it to be too thick, this however sounds way better! <3

    zaras-bowsandpearls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the most lightweight foundation out of my entire collection :) You probably tried high coverage foundation, right?

      Delete
  5. Great review! This foundation sounds and looks a lot like the kiko second skin foundation! :)
    Urban Obsessions // Vegan Food, Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. really good to know that this one is a good one :)
    Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This product looks amazing on you! I love how it gives you such natural coverage which still allows your freckles to shine through, and lady, you are so pretty!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This foundation actually sounds amazing, I love that it ha a pipette! The formula sounds so gorgeous, really want to give it a try!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I have ever tried a MAC foundation, but I added this one to my wishlist as soon as I heard about it being released. Put water in the title of just about anything and I am sold. I'm worried about the yellow tones, though it doesn't look noticeable on your skin. It looks like a second skin on you! :)

    Wendy | Fashionable Heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I'm not sure we have this in the UK just yet but I will keep an eye out as I love MAC foundations and this formula sounds really unique xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty | High-End Palette Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Jasmine, it's also out in UK :)
      Oh, massive fan of your blog!

      Delete

I would love to know your thoughts ♥